I would think neither.

I think it should mean that the sparseIterator will be enough faster than
the dense iterator to make it worth using.  The indication doesn't have to
be be crisp or even always quite correct.  Thus, a densely filled
OpenMapReal might just return true because that usage is out of the
ordinary.

Regarding what the sparseIterator returns, skipping zeroes is a fine idea,
but the contract should really be that all non-zeros will be returned rather
than no zeros will be returned.  There should be flexibility to return zero
values if that is much more convenient, but there should be no case where a
non-zero is missed.

Regarding the additional indicators, these are occasionally useful in
particular cases, but many of those special cases actually work out just as
well if you simply treat them as sparse.  As an example, multiplication by a
diagonal matrix can be special cased, but simply iterating over the
non-zeros (i.e. the diagonal) is just as good.  Matrix power is a
counter-example where the computation can be reduced to element-wise power
for diagonal, but not for sparse.  Even so, the sparse implementation is
surprisingly competitive even there especially for small powers if you have
a special sparse-sparse multiply.  Mahout has an additional indicator
function that tells whether sparseIterator returns items in a sequential
order which can reduce many of these cases to a merge.

For banded arrays, the economies available beyond simple sparse algorithms
are even more limited.

Symmetric and triangular matrices also have special properties but it is
hard to decide what is really important there.  Many of the special
operations for these kinds of matrix are subject to solving by overloads
instead of indicators since we aren't dealing with binary operations.  For
example, left and right inverse multiplication with triangular matrices is
handled by normal single dispatch and qualifying an argument for real
Cholesky decomposition is specific to the Cholesky decomposition itself.