On 18 August 2011 17:25, Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> This is a vote to release Apache Commons VFS 2.0.
>
> Changes made since the last candidate:
>
> * Removed the sandbox project from the delivery, except for the web site.
> * Updated README.txt to remove the existing text and add very basic build
> instructions.
>
> I have also removed files that shouldn't be present in the Maven repository
> from the staging repo, except for the distribution files which will be moved
> to the standard distribution location and not deployed to the Nexus
> repository when the artifacts are released.
>
> [ ] +1 release it
> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
> [ ] -1 no, do not release it because.

The release itself is fine.

However I still question whether it really needs to break binary compatibility.
As the news section on the front page says:

"The API changes are fairly minor and will mostly impact provider
implementations."

This does not seem like it really requires binary compatibility to be
broken, with all the resulting downstream work that is involved.

I am therefore abstaining on this vote.

> Ralph
>

> Tag:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/vfs/tags/commons-vfs2-project-2.0/
>   (revision 1159220).
>
> Site: http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/commons-vfs/site/

The News section paragraph contains several items of information and
is not all that easy to read.

I think it would be good to make the compatibiltity statement stand out more:
- start new paragraphs for "Version 2.0 is not binary compatible ..."
and "The API changes ..."
- possibly embolden some phrases in the second para.

http://people.apache.org/~rgoers/commons-vfs/site/download.html

Contains a list of dependencies. Just wondering whether it should
still contain the references to Sandbox?

[these can be fixed independently of the release]