On 2011-10-11, Gary Gregory wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org> wrote:

>> On 2011-10-11, Gary Gregory wrote:

>>> I am not in favor of code all over the place, it should all be in the
>>> project, whether or not or when it is run is a different story.

>>> If these are data/resource files, why not put them in a resource jar in
>>> MC?

>> By "put them in a resource jar in MC" you mean I'd assemble a single jar
>> file commons-compress-testresources-1.0.jar that contains all those zips
>> and publish it, right?

> Yep. Because third party programs were used to create the files, they
> should be saved somewhere.

> We have two options:

> (1) SVN is not acceptable it seems. Could SVN even handle a giant file?

The individual files are between 4.5MB and 15MB each.  We are talking
about the ZIPs in <http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/commons-compress/>
and five of those attached to
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMPRESS-36>.  Not exactly huge
but too big to have them i trunk IMHO.

> (2) That leaves some place that the build can handle downloading and caching
> automatically, which is what Maven and Ivy are good at doing.

I created
<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/compress/test-resources/>
which holds the POM for such a test-resources artifact.  I copied the
eleven archives used during the tests into src/main/resources and ran
"mvn package" and something surprising happened.  The resulting jar is
5MB in size.  I.e. we have one of the very rare cases where compressing
a ZIP with ZIP reduces the archive size considerably because it still
contains lots of redundant data.

How do I proceed?  Upload the jar and pom to Nexus (pgp signed, of
course) and call for a vote?

Stefan