On 14 November 2011 21:15, Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I thought we'd gone through this before and decided that it was OK to
>>> delete a tag when a vote is not called for that tag.
>>
>> It's fine to create and drop tags which won't ever be used for a vote.
>>
>> But tags that are used as RC tags should be immutable.
>>
>> It's better *never* to reuse an RC tag, as a recreated tag can still
>> cause confusion later on.
>
> I'm not understanding the reasoning here. Where is the confusion in a
> recreated tag?

If the RC is renamed (rather than copied) when creating the final tag,
it may be necessary to use SVN history to find out which revision was
used in the final tag.
By the time the final tag is created, trunk will have moved on. SVN
does not record the revision of the RC tag used to create the final
tag.

> It seems far more confusing for me to announce RC12 tomorrow for
> Collections and have everyone wonder where the previous 11 were.

So? The tag is just a name.

Much simpler to have a rule - RC tags are immutable - rather than
allow them sometimes and not others.