With all the changes you've made a release of VFS is warranted.

I'm not sure why a renae would be required instead of just calling it VFS3. To
be honest, I've never much liked the VFS API, expecially the
ConfigurationBuilder stuff. Losing the API in favor of the Java API seems like
a good way to correct that. Since Java 7 calls the new API FileSystem,
FileSystems, etc., I would think VFS would be the appropriate name.  FWIW, I
would imagine that other than converting to whatever Java 7 requires all the
providers would be left largely intact.

Ralph