On 5 December 2011 22:45, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> Hi All:
>>
>> I've made several improvements to VFS over the last couple of months which
>> feels ready for a release soon.
>>
>> One important internal change is that the builds runs almost all unit
>> tests
>> :)
>
> I saw your efforts and this is really a great improvement! Thanks!
>
>> I've not found an easy way to embed a WebDAV server in the tests like
>> JackRabbit, which would be nice to do.
>
> Definitely :)
>
>> I know Ralph just mentioned thoughts of a VFS3 on top of Java 7, which is
>> great news indeed. This feels like it needs a new name instead of a
>> version change though because the change is so radical (and nice.)
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I'd keep the name, it's a brand here and if we name it VFS3 and document
> that it is based on Java 7 technology, so why change it?

The current release targets Java 1.5 and uses the package name vfs2;
the name was changed from o.a.c.vfs because 2.x is not binary
compatible with 1.x.

If there is to be any development of VFS 2.x on Java 1.5 or Java 1.6
that requires breaking binary compatibility again (which is not
impossible), this could cause a clash with the package name for the
new component VFS3.

Ideally there should be a different package name prefix for each the
two components; failing that, at least they must use different numeric
suffix ranges.
Otherwise users may not be able to upgrade to Java 7 cleanly.

Maven ids also need to be distinct, but that is less of an issue (for once).