On Jan 16, 2012, at 12:48 PM, Oliver Heger wrote:

> Am 16.01.2012 14:02, schrieb Emmanuel Bourg:
>> Thank you for the hard work Oliver. The generified API alone is worth a
>> release IMHO. Other Java 5 features like better synchronization can be
>> added later.
>>
>> I think the heavy refactoring can still take place on the experimental
>> branch, the Java 5 migration is simply no longer one of its main
>> objectives.
>>
>> Emmanuel
>
> It is also my point of view that we have enough stuff for the 1.8 release. It
> is not a problem to push out version 1.9 with new features in the near future.
>
> That said, release preparations always take some time, so Ralph, if you come
> up with some code or enhancements, just go ahead.
>
> Regarding the experimental branch: Maybe we should step back and start a new
> discussion about design changes, new features, and the scope of Configuration
> 2.0? Just to get a clearer direction.

None of my items should be considered as a blocker for a release.

Maintaining the experimental branch alongside trunk has been a bit of a pain.
The locking was never ported to it. Now that the Java 5 refactoring has been
done to trunk I'm really not sure what value there is in the experimental
branch.  If we were to head off in a 2.0 the way I'd like to see it go I
wouldn't want to have 3 branches, and the experimental branch doesn't make the
fundamental changes I'd really like to see.

Ralph