Hi,

> Dear all,
> you might have seen the creation of a new ticket (MATH-765). This is
> going to be the place where our discussions regarding the present
> issue will be summarized. For the time being, this page is largely
> work in progress, so I would encourage people to ***REFRAIN FROM
> COMMENTING*** on the ticket for the time being. There is a lot of
> things I need to write before this becomes a useful page
> - finish comparison of RealVector and RealMatrix APIs,
> - summarize "historical" discussions (listed in the root message of
> the present thread).
>
> I'll let you know once I'm satisfied with the above tasks. Besides,
> I'm not sure that discussions should take place on the ticket itself,
> I'm really worried it becomes too cluttered. I personally would prefer
> we discuss on the ML, and the conclusions are summarized on the JIRA
> ticket. This is of course open to discussion.
>
> Best regards,
> Sébastien

Following my previous message, I took the liberty to delete
"design-oriented" comments already posted on MATH-765. Here is a quote
of the comment posted by Leandro

{quote}
Since inner product should be implemented , shouldnt a user be able to
change a matrix representation in a given base ? . Something along the
lines of :

RealMatrix changeBase( RealMatrix newBase )

Ohhh .. btw , calculating a Matrix's trace could prove usefull too ...

double trace() or static double trace( RealMatrix m )
{quote}

We can already answer to the second question: getTrace() already
exists, even if this method is not (yet) listed in the JIRA ticket.

Best regards
Sébastien