On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Thomas Neidhart
<thomas.neidh...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 03/08/2012 11:03 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> > Thomas:
> >
> > It seems to me that we do not need both testDropBy and testDropBy2.
> >
> > I initially created testDropBy2 as a way to work through the "Original"
> and
> > "Modified" examples from the site.
> >
> > So unless you think we need both, let get rid of testDropBy.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> yes, definitely, the two should be merged. I worked through all
> deviations, and I think our implementation is correct (wrt the algorithm
> description, which may be wrong too).

Would you be willing to handle this merge and describing the algorithm in
the Nysiis class itself. The description in the test method feels out of
place.

After that, I think I'll put a message out on the ML and ask for further
testing and feedback.

> I have not found the original paper, which is a pity, and all the
> algorithm descriptions I have found so far vary a bit. But in the end,
> it's a phonetic code to match similar names and when I compare to
> dropby, I feel more comfortable with our implementation (e.g. take PHIL
> and FIL which result in FFAL and FAL in dropby, which is weird).
>
> Anyway, the modified version seems to address some of these things, so
> it may be a good idea to additionally implement this one.

What do you mean?

IMO, we should have one impl that is documented. If it deviates from the
'standard', then we should document that.

This is why I added the 'trueLength' (lame name?) ivar because that seems
like a reasonable toggle after reading the Wikipedia entry.

Gary