Since we're on the subject, another question.  In encoding data, I was
constructing field types and coding the information.  But it looks like you've
got some static declarations for doing the same thing.  Could you verify that
the following is your intended approach

    public TiffOutputField encodeASCII(TagInfo tInfo, String string)
            throws ImageWriteException,  ImageWriteException
    {
        //      previous approach:
        //        FieldType fType = new FieldTypeAscii(2, "ASCII");
        //        byte bytes[] = fType.writeData(string, byteOrder);

        byte bytes[] = FieldType.FIELD_TYPE_ASCII.writeData(string, byteOrder);

        TiffOutputField tiffOutputField =
                new TiffOutputField(
                tInfo.tag,
                tInfo,