Hi Gary,

Gary Gregory wrote:

> Opening <CanOfWorms>...
>
> Should Commons adopt OSGi Semantic Versioning [1] instead of defining our
> own [2] (even though they might in effect be the same)?
>
> Should Commons layer its semantic version details on top of OSGi?
>
> [1] http://www.osgi.org/wiki/uploads/Links/SemanticVersioning.pdf
> [2] http://commons.apache.org/releases/versioning.html
>
> Gary

up to now, the we (well, the release manager in the end) decided to select a
new major version either because of necessity (binary incompatibility) or
because of reasonability (new major functionality). I think this is still
good enough.

As we see from Felix' patch, we can satisfy OSGi still for the latter reason
by declaring proper exports. In contrast to the patch I'd select a version
though that makes it totally clear that it is synthetic e.g. I'd take 1.9999
or 1.4.9999 instead of non-existing 1.5.

Regards,
Jörg