From: Luc Maisonobe [luc.maison...@free.fr]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 12:11 PM
To: Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [math] Multivariate Gaussian Mixture Model

On 11/07/2012 18:34, Becksfort, Jared wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Jared,

> I have created 3 JIRA tickets for the code I plan to submit:
> Math-815, 816, and 817.

Thanks,

> My employer has given me permission to contribute the code. I am not
> an expert in the Apache license. I read
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt. It seems that our company is
> still allowed to retain copyright, and we give the ASF non-exclusive
> copyright as well. Is this correct?

Yes, there are no copyright transfer, the Apache Foundation only get a
licence from you.

Also note that for existing code, we rather need a Software Grant, not
an ICLA. An ICLA is needed tp cover work to be done later on by one
regular contributor. A software grant is for existing work already done
outside from Apache and imported.

> My company is also generally
> requires that I place our name somewhere near the top of the
> comments. Does this work for you?

The top header must be the Apache header, and we forbid use of the
@author statement (authors change as the file is modified through bug
fixes).

Authors are acknowledged in the NOTICE file that is distributed with
both source and binary versions, and which must also be reproduced by
anyone who redistribute our code. In fact, your company will get better
visibility through this file than through comments on the source files.

Does this fits your company requirements ?

best regards,
Luc