Hello,

2012/7/23 Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidh...@gmail.com>:

>>> How about the Fork-Join framework of Java 7 as an alternative?
>>
>> +1
>
> I would also be interested in performance improvements of certain
> algorithms by taking advantage of the multi-core processors we have
> nowadays. The fork-join framework of java 7 looks clean and simple to
> use, so I guess it is somehow a logical target for a library as CM.
>
> +1

I have been playing around with the F/J framework for image analysis
applications. Implementation is indeed simple (I bran new to
multithreading). I was thinking of implementing a
ForkJoinArrayRealVector, to see if there is some potential here.

>>> Well, you probably don't want to switch to Java 7 now, [...]
>>
>> Oh, yes, please! 8-P
>
> I would be in favor of this too, but we could also target it for the 4.0
> release together with the parallelization stuff.
>
> Thomas

I would also be in favor of Java 7, but I understand that the switch
might be difficult in some professional environments. The good news is
that you actually do not need Java 7 to run the F/J framework. Package
jsr166y.jar does the trick [1]. There is even a maven repos
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.codehaus.jsr166-mirror</groupId>
      <artifactId>jsr166y</artifactId>
      <version>1.7.0</version>
    </dependency>

Best regards,