Currently XMLConfiguration allows setting multiple values for an attribute node. (This is possible through the Configuration interface, but of course not supported by XML.) When saving the configuration it tries to encode the list as a comma-separated string. On reloading, such strings are split again.

The implementation of this feature is pretty complex because points like escaping delimiter characters have to be taken into account. I doubt that it works in a reliable way in all possible constellations. OTOH, I don't think that this functionality provides much value to users.

So, in short, I propose to remove this feature. I would change the implementation to check for attributes with multiple values when the configuration is to be saved. If such attributes are detected, an exception can be thrown.

Any objections?
Oliver