On 2 December 2012 09:58, Sébastien Brisard <sebastien.bris...@m4x.org> wrote:
> Hi
>

> 2012/12/1 Gilles Sadowski <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>

>> thought

>> double)
>> rather
>> direct
>> should
>> [2]), I

>> do the

>> > +1 to using reflection in test cases if necessary.
>> > [I don't see why that even needs a vote!]
>> >
>> > However, I don't see what the issue is with package-private methods,
>> > so long as the reason for the removal of the private qualifier is
>> > documented.
>> >
>> > If 3rd party application code creates classes in o.a.c.m packages,
>> > then any problems that result are entirely up to them to resolve...
>>
>> IMHO, that's really not the problem (i.e. I agree its theirs).
>> I just find it dirty from a desing point-of-view to have visibility scope
>> guided by how easy it would to test with Junit.
>> Scope in (useful) code should be guided by internal consistency (leaving
>> any
>> testing consideration).
>>
> I agree with you (mea culpa). If we ever need these auxiliary methods, we
> can increase their scope without breaking compatibility.
>

>> After some time, it becomes a soiurce or questioning ("Why is this code
>> package private?"). [And no, I don't think that it is enough reason to
>> state that reason (for "Junit" testing) is the documentation.]
>>
>> Sébastien's case rarely occurs, and his workaround is fine. So is his
>> willingness to provide exhaustive coverage!
>>

>> Plus it was fun to use introspection (!). I learned something!
>

>> Best,
>> Gilles
>>

> Thanks anyway for this interesting conversation. I think this is a nice
> workaround, but sometimes the gap between "nice workaround" and "dirty
> trick" is very narrow indeed. I just wanted to check with all of you guys
> that I didn't go too far in the direction of the dirty tricks...

IMO test classes can use tricks that would not be suitable for the
main code classes; reflection seems perfectly OK for test classes.

However, of course tests may then break if private methods/fields etc
are renamed, so it might be as well to add a comment to the code to
say that the method is accessed from test code.