On 11 December 2012 12:11, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:56 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 11 December 2012 08:58, Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidh...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > thanks for looking into it.
>> >
>> > I will fix the issues wrt build page, release notes and findbugs
>> warnings.
>> >
>> > Regarding the unit test failure:
>> >
>> > I have not seen the problem before, and just validated it. The unit test
>> > tries to open a connection to an invalid url: http://example.invalid
>> > For some reason this seems to succeed in your environment. Could it be
>> that
>> > you have a custom hosts entry for this domain?
>>
>> Or it could be a faulty DNS server.
>>
>> I used to have this exact problem with the OpenDNS server.
>> They resolve unknown hosts to their home page (extra advertising).
>> They used to do this for *.invalid as well, but after years of
>> complaints that this behaviour was contrary to the RFC they fixed the
>> issue.
>>
>> Try pinging example.invalid and then do an nslookup on the IP address.
>>

> That is what Cox must be doing indeed:
>
> Pinging example.invalid [72.215.225.9] with 32 bytes of data:
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> My browser redirects this IP to http://finder.cox.net/dnserror.html

So Cox are violating the RFC.

Perhaps you could direct them to the relevant RFC:

There are several TLD names which are reserved by RFC 2606, section 2.
Amongst them is the TLD "invalid".

<quote>
   ".invalid" is intended for use in online construction of domain
      names that are sure to be invalid and which it is obvious at a
      glance are invalid.
</quote>

Note the phrase "that are sure to be invalid".
An invalid domain name cannot have an IP address.
No DNS server should ever resolve addresses in the TLD "invalid".