Am 20.02.2013 16:25, schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
Hi Jörg

2013/2/20 Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@scalaris.com>

Hi Benedikt,

Benedikt Ritter wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to discuss how the development of [BeanUtils] and [BeanUtils2]
can be continued.

The last release of BeanUtils (1.8.3) is now nearly 3 years ago and there
are 92 open issues in JIRA.
OTOH we've put quiet some effort into [BeanUtils2]. There are some issues
that have to be addressed* but the API is in a good shape.
But [BeanUtils2] is also a complete redesign of the API that is binary
incompatible with [BeanUtils].

Keeping this in mind I propose the following:
- promote [BeanUtils2] to proper; move it to a 2.0 branch in the
beanutils
svn subtree.**
- fix all issues that can be fixed without breaking BC in [BeanUtils] to
push out a last bug fix release for users that don't want to swtich to a
new API.
- Make clear that BeanUtils 1.8.4 will be the last release of  the 1.x
line.

WDYT?

Sounds perfectly reasonable. If you have only maintenance stuff 1.8.4 is
fine. If you intent to add new features for the 1.x line, you might better
call it 1.9.0 after all this years.

Okay, I'll try to review the open issues this weekend.

I am also interested in a new BeanUtils release and would like to contribute some new features. Unfortunately, I am not sure when I get the cycles to work on this.

Oliver

Benedikt

* Some JavaDoc is still missing and we have to take a look at the
caching.
AFAIK WeakHashMap is not the best choice for an in-memory-cache. We'll
discuss this in a separate thread.
** I don't know the exact formal process for this. What has to be done to
promote a component to proper? Does there have to be a formal vote by the
PMC?

Not sure for this special case either. Actually you're not promoting a new
component. However, you may look into the archives, IIRC Simo had the same
case for the last major release of digester.

I'll ask Simo what he has done for digister.

Thanks a lot!
Benedikt

Cheers,
Jörg