Christian Trimble recently sent to the list details of the XChain project
(see<http://xiantrimble.com/xchain/> and<https://github.com/ctrimble/xchain> )
and pondered on whether aspects of this could be accommodated in commons-chain.
 There has not been any response to this email (apologies to Christian), but it
does raise an interesting question about where does the wider community want
commons-chain to go.

Simone Tripodi summarised his view of the 2.0 release recently, with it
consisting of:

* Support for same features of 1.x
* Increased modularisation
* Use of generics
* A Fluent API (EDSL)
* Web support
* Increase number of supported formats  for external chain configuration (add
JSON, YAML etc.. to the current support for XML)

As things stand, all of the above have been implemented apart from the support
for additional files formats (defined in CHAIN-76), although more testing and
samples are required.

Christians links point to an interesting, if very specific use of chains :
XChain fuses the commons-chain  and JXPath projects, and there may be merit in
the creation of a module/component to accommodate this in chains. Whether this
should be in a 2.0 release needs to be discussed, however, I would favour the
following happening with Chain:

1. Move CHAIN-76 to another release (2.1?) – I am not aware of any great demand
for this functionality
2. Make a 2.0 release candidate of the SVN trunk as is and move towards a
substantial test phase.

This would have the merit of ensuring much of the recent great work from Simone
and others goes out into the wider world and hopefully kick-starts interest in
commons-chain. Of course, if the response is minimal, then perhaps we should
reduce effort in commons-chain as is, although this is a wider community
decision.

Look forward to hearing opinions on this.

Regards,

Steve Westwood