Hi Emmanuel,

Thank you for your comments. Please find mine @inline.

Regards,
Ricardo Espírito Santo

On 10 June 2013 00:48, Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Le 09/06/2013 22:03, Ricardo Espírito Santo a écrit :
>
> > - Very similar objectives, features and aims
>
> exec: Invoke an external application from Java
> launcher: Start a Java application from the shell
>
> Besides launching something they don't look that similar to me.

That's a very good similarity! They both launch something and since that is
99% of what they do I'd say they do pretty much the same thing.

If you look at any other Commons sub project I believe you will find that
none of them addresses only one issue.

> > - Simplification of the overall Commons project by reducing the number of
> > specific projects without compromising feature delivery
>
> That doesn't look like an issue.

It is not an issue on its own but having a lot of choices requires a more
intricate knowledge of the components and more specific nuances between
them. Surely we want to move towards a simpler and easier user experience.

> > - The merged project will probably involve and capture attention of new
> > contributors
>
> Not sure to see how merging projects attracts new contributors. But if
> it works I suggest merging all Commons projects into a big one :)

The memento in both Exec and Launch seems to have halted and I believe that
by creating a new project, new  users who have actually done some work for
either project in the past and also for those just looking for something
easy and small to start contributing to Commons will be drawn in - No one
likes to commit work to a project which has been parked for over 5 years.

> > - Code share and total lines of code reduction
>
> Not an issue considering the small size of these components.

I agree, not an issue but surely this should be an aim and a philosophy
rather than a technical consideration. - My reasoning is: even if its just
10 duplicate lines they shouldn't be duplicate in the first place.

> > - General update of both project’s source code
>
> This can be done without merging.

True but it hasn't been done so far. Why? no interest in either projects...
Aren't the most active projects the ones which do more than one thing and
interest more users ?

> > [Reasons not to merge]
> >
> > - Broadening the focus of each project
> >
> > - The actual work of planning the merge, merging and documenting imply
> > person-hours that could be applied to more functional tasks
>
> I agree, let's fix the issues that actually matter to our users.

Again a few issues have been raises, patches have been proposed and yet the
development has nevertheless halted.