On 18 July 2013 20:06, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 16:19:10 +0100, sebb wrote:
>>
>> Some MATH unit tests take a long time to run.
>>
>> One example is CMAESOptimizerTest, which is run twice - once for the
>> deprecated code and once for the new code.
>>
>> Would it make sense to exclude the long-running tests of deprecated
>> classes by default?
>>
>> Or maybe all the tests of deprecated classes should be skipped by default?
>>
>> In the case where entire packages have been deprecated, that would be
>> fairly easy.
>

> By @Ignore'ing the tests for the deprecated classes, we'd run the
> risk that a release contains failing code.

That is not what I am suggesting.

> Sometimes deprecated code must be touched, e.g. to redirect the
> internals toward new implementations (delegation). Bugs could be
> introduced unknowingly.
> Also the conversion of unit tests is not always trivial, and it is
> very useful to see that converted units tests run in the same way
> as those of the deprecated code.
>
> Isn't it possible to tell Junit to not run some tests (i.e. the
> opposite of "-Dtest=SomeTest")?

Possibly, but there are too many to make it convenient, and who is
going to remember which of the CMAES tests to disable and which needs
to be run?
They both have the same name; they are in different packages.

I'm suggesting using a profile which is disabled by default.
In the same way that we don't run performance tests every time,  maybe
it's not necessary to run deprecated class tests every time.