On 10/10/2013 03:47 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM, James Carman
<ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org> wrote:

I'm afraid this is more than a perceived issue, the plexus-container
example given by Jörg is a very good one. Pushing drastically
incompatible versions to Maven Central is not a good service for the users.

I think my suggestion is a good compromise, otherwise the die-hard
compatibility defenders here will never agree to publish incompatible
artifacts to Maven Central.

This gets back to my earlier comments on another thread.  We can't try
to stupid-proof our code.  If our users want to do something stupid,
we can't protect them from themselves.  If they want to "release" code
which points to milestone/alpha/rc/SNAPSHOT/whatever, then that's on
them.

I agree this is annoying, but this has to be balanced with the annoyance
of dealing with incompatible dependencies (for example, components
depending on different versions of BouncyCastle). It's easy to rename an
import in your code compared to fixing a jar hell situation.

If a third-party library releases a version which points at one of our
alpha releases and relies upon an API that they've been told may not
be stable, then they need to fix it.  Again, we can boil the ocean
trying to think up all the stupid things people can do with our
software and try to code/process around it, but at the end of the day,
you can't fix stupid.

Indeed, developers and users will forever find creative and painful
ways to shoot themselves in the foot and other appendages.

Conversely, we should not hand out defective weaponry by breaking
Binary Compatibility (this relates to a discussion on another thread:
I claim it is never OK to break BC, you release a new (Java) package
to do the equivalent).

I state that an alpha release (which I gather you prefer above calling it milestones), by definition, cannot have a 'Compatibility' claim to begin with, hence cannot break one either.

So, are you OK with alpha releases, which do NOT claim any stability nor compatibility?

Gary