2013/12/6 Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>

> Hi.
>

> On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 12:26:57 +0000, Duncan Jones wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Stack Overflow allows open source projects to create a free advert to
>> encourage participation in their project.
>>

> This is certainly worth exploring.

If you're willing to do this, go for it!

>  The rules are clearly
>> explained in the following post:
>>
>> http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/210389/open-source-
>> advertising-sidebar-1h-2014.
>>
>> In summary, we create a 220x250 image that encourages participation in
>> Apache Commons. We then post it as an answer to that thread and it
>> will be served up automatically to Stack Overflow users (provided we
>> receive enough up-votes).
>>
>> I'm happy to do this on behalf of Apache Commons, but I wanted feedback
>> on:
>>
>>  - Whether we want to do this?
>>  - Is there someone more talented who can do the image work?
>>
>> Last time this advertising spree was organised
>>
>> (http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/195823/open-
>> source-advertising-sidebar-2h-2013)
>> there were only 8 participants. We should get in on this.
>>

> Another way to make the projects more visible is to edit Wikipedia entries
> that refer to implementations in various programming languages of the
> concept
> explained in the article.
> [I mentioned this some time ago, but there were zero comment about
> usefulness or
> feasibility (I don't know how easy it is to become a Wikipedia editor).]

I think I've commented on this (or maybe I wanted to, but forgot it ;-). My
thoughts on this: do it! :-) Anybody can edit wikipedia pages. You don't
even need a user account for it. There are some exceptions to this rule,
but I don't think the pages you have in mind fall into this category.