Hi,

I've started to write a tiny amount of code for 2.0 to get things moving
(more on this later) and have already reached a point where Java7 may
make a difference.

I'm trying to define an API for attributes beyond the set offered by
ArchivEntry so far - many (AR, ARJ, CPIO, ZIP, TAR, DUMP) of our entries
provide POSIX permissions and file attributes, some (ZIP, ARJ and 7z)
technically provide DOS attributes.  Something like the interfaces of
the java.nio.file.attribute package[1] (probably without the attribute
view overhead) might come handy.  OTOH it wouldn't be too complex to
implement the same ideas ourselves.

Compress 1.x is at Java5, personally I don't think Java6 would give us
any benefits.  I don't know about the other improvements in NIO2 but the
java.nio.file package looks useful for compress.  Therefore I'd tend to
go with Java7 as requirement for compress2.

Is this too ambitious?  Should we poll the user list?

Stefan

[1]
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/nio/file/attribute/package-summary.html