Bernd,

For paragraphs I use <p>la di da</p>, never the concept of a "line
separator", that's a rendering concept IMO, not content, which is what
Javadoc is. For code examples, then you end up in <pre>...</pre> unless
it's inline then you use {@code ...}.

For IO-424, I've seen some discussion on the Maven ML and Jiras fly by,
check there, sorry I have no exact references.

Gary