The default manager configuration in providers.xml registers the Tar
and Bzip2FileProvider conditionally based on commons compress classes.
For GzipFileProvider it uses unconditionally the java.util.zip package.

    <provider class-name="org.apache.commons.vfs2.provider.tar.TarFileProvider">
        <scheme name="tar" />
        <if-available

class-name="org.apache.commons.compress.archivers.tar.TarArchiveOutputStream" />
    </provider>

    <provider
class-name="org.apache.commons.vfs2.provider.bzip2.Bzip2FileProvider">
        <scheme name="bz2" />
        <if-available

class-name="org.apache.commons.compress.compressors.bzip2.BZip2CompressorInputStream"
 />
    </provider>
    <provider
class-name="org.apache.commons.vfs2.provider.gzip.GzipFileProvider">
        <scheme name="gz" />
    </provider>

So I agree, the download page should be changed accordingly. Only the two
providers have this dependency.

Gruss
Bernd

Am