On 06.05.14 08:31, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> few questions about jcs:
>
> 1) I played a bit with remote cache server etc and didn't find a lot
> of use cases, do we keep it this way (linked to 4) )?

The features of JCS are quite comprehensive. Not everything is useful
for everybody. So besides the test failure that I never could reproduce,
why not?

> 2) API: do we use JCache as main API or do we keep core?

The API of a cache is quite simple. To me, it is important that the
lifecycle of the main cache manager can be integrated in that of an
application container, be it JEE or else.

> 3) Reviewing JCache module I really wonder if we shouldn't use a
> ConcurrentHashMap instead of a the currently backing CompositeCache
> and add on top of this "locally optimized" implementation two things:
> a) eviction (a thread regularly iterating over local items to check
> expiry would be enough), b) distribution (see 4) )

Both features exist. Eviction is called memory shrinking and there are
several possibilities for distributed auxiliaries. Please make yourself
familiar with the concept of the composite cache (memory cache and
auxiliaries). There is a lot of documentation on the site.

> 4) distributed mode: I wonder if we shouldn't rethink it and
> potentially add Cache<K, V> listeners usable in JCache to know if
> another node did something (useful to get consistent stats at least -
> basically we need a way to aggregate on each note stats) + use a key
> for each node to keep data on a single node + potentially add backup
> on another node.

The LateralCache does this. See the configuration docs. It can be
configured to distribute cache objects as well as invalidation
information in a cache cluster.

> I don't know how much JCS is used ATM and if we can break that much
> the API but since that would be a 2.0 I think it is the moment

To the application, a cache normally looks like a map. So there is not
much to break. However there are a couple of applications that use JCS,
namely the Torque O/R mapper and Turbine, the project JCS originated from.

Bye, Thomas