On 23/09/2014 17:59, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 9/21/14 7:29 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

<snip/>

>> I was not able to demonstrate any consistent performance difference
>> in my tests.  The code in trunk was a tiny bit faster on average but
>> some runs of the patched code were faster than some runs of the
>> unpatched code.  It might be worth just changing the max to be "lock
>> free" and seeing if that change by itself makes any difference.
>
> I did that and still could not demonstrate any improvement.  The
> report in the ticket does show monitor contention, though, so I am
> ambivalent on this one.  What do others think?

Typo: s/Mast/Must/

I have often found that for large numbers of cheap operations that
monitoring tools are far more overhead than the thing they are trying to
measure. I recently spent some time tuning a new Cookie parser for
Tomcat and the profiler results were useless at identifying the real
bottlenecks. I wonder if that is happening here.

I have no objection to the patch if the performance is about the same.
Adding max to the StatsStore is likely to be useful elsewhere.

Mark