Just file an JIRA if something doesn't work and you are done.

> Releasing is tedious because Maven does not really support non-Maven
> release directories (i.e. www.apache.org/dist/commons)
This is totally non-ASF style. Just use the standard stuff like every other ASF
project and you are again done.

> Until very recently the ASF parent pom was broken, and with no sign of
> any fixes.To me'not fixing anything' would mean that all the apache-parent
> releases would be useless?

Or you just did not check it?

> There are stil issues with LICENSE and NOTICE, because the
> automatically created ones are not always correct.
The rule is straight forward. If you provide your own one then it will be used.
If not, then a standard one will be packaged.

> The Commons Pom includes a lot of common setup that would otherwise
> have to be added to each component's parent pom.
And that would be? Most of the stuff is taken over from the old ant builds and
nowadays do not reflect reality anymore.

> There are various other additional optional features in the Commons
> pom which are useful for testing.
what more than testng OR junit (depending on the project) + maybe mock tools do
you need?

> I think the CP pom works fine for single module projects.
> I'm not sure about multimodule projects, but is the ASF pom any better?
Well, most of todays projects are multi-module ones. And this works perfectly
fine with the ASF parent pom.

LieGrue,
strub