On 2014-12-23, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Your commit message calls out writeOut as a particilar problem.
> Fortunately this is one is final, so we don't have to retain the effect
> of subclasses overriding it.  Wouldn't it be possible to have writeOut
> call the StreamCompressor's writeOut method so it still worked as
> before?

I see you've already started to implement that in your github fork. :-)

> [As an aside I'd prefer the StreamCompressor being passed into the
> stream so we don't need subclasses just to replace the compressor.]

At least for the ScatterZipOutputStream I've started to experiment a
little:
<https://github.com/bodewig/commons-compress/compare/scatter-backing-store>

As for

> One problem of the zip package is that it doesn't support all the
> other compression methods possible for ZIPs, this might be a possible
> extension point.

I'd like to see where you are going to take the compressor before I try
to dive in.  Do I need to look at your plexus-archiver fork?

Stefan