On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 02:12:51 +0000, sebb wrote:
On 30 December 2014 at 02:06, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 01:48:20 +0000, sebb wrote:

On 30 December 2014 at 01:36, Bernd Eckenfels <e...@zusammenkunft.net>
wrote:

Hello,

Am Tue, 30 Dec 2014 02:29:38 +0100
schrieb Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>:

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 02:09:42 +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> That thread gets deep. :)
>
> I just wanted to comment on "releasing only
> source is faster because of less checks". I disagree with that, most
> release delay/time is due to preparation work. Failed (binary)
> checks are typically for a reason which would also be present in > the source (especially the POM), so it does not really reduce the
> number of rework.

RM is a streamlined procedure: so, if you do (say) 10 steps rather than 15, it will objectively take less time, and this is compounded by the additional tests which should (ideally) be performed by the
reviewers. [Thus delaying the release.]

The problem is not the small additional time for the last 5 steps but
the large time for redoing all steps (on veto).

> (At least not in most cases, so two votes will actually make us
> more work not less).

The additional work exactly amounts to sending _one_ additional mail.

The actual work is not the vote mail but the people doing the
preparation and the review.

Then, as I noted,
  * some releases will be done as before (same work)
  * some releases will be "source only" (less work)

Not much, you still have to check if the source actually works and can
be build, produces sane archives and so on.

  * some releases will be two-steps, possibly performed by two
different people (i.e. less work for each RM)

And more work in sum, not only for the RMs but also the reviewers. (and the users which want to use the source release with maven like anybody
there days)

But I dont mind, if a project wants to do a source release only, thats
fine with me, I just don't see the advantage.

How many end users just want a source release anyway?

I would expect most users to use the Maven jars, some will use the ASF binaries, and a few will use the ASF source (AIUI Linux distros often
build from source).

So, you answered your own question.

Even if only the source is released, it's still necessary for the RM
and reviewers to build and test it.

Never said otherwise.
[Testing the sources is one git command and one maven command.

Not so.

The source archive has to be downloaded, and its sigs and hashes checked. It also has to be compared against the SCM tag, and the N&L files checked.

(1)
download == git clone tag_url
--> No download of a signed archive.

(2)
git tag -v tag_name

(3)
build == maven test site

[Sorry: that was 3 commands.]

Then maybe people in the know can examine the license issues, like you did.
But I hardly count that every reviewer would do it. [Besides, it should
have been done at the time the code was introduced. And, as I said in the other thread, we might seriously need to consider requesting an actual legal review if the matter is so sensitive: Submit to a lawyer when the contents
is changed; no need to check when the contents is left untouched.]

Testing
the binaries requires downloading each of them and check the signatures
and/or checksums, each a separate command.]

The files can be downloaded as a single bunch, especially if one uses
the SVN dist/dev staging area.

It's easy enough to write shell scripts to check all hashes and sigs
in a single directory.

When I've asked at this thread's start (under subject "Git question"),
the answer was that this does not strictly prove the link between source
code and binaries.
Hence the attempt to segregate what can be proved from what cannot.
Back to square one.