> I've just noticed VALIDATOR-297, which points out that the punycode
> versions of the TLDs are not regarded as valid.
>
> I just added the Unicode versions, but perhaps I should have added the
> punycode ones as well or instead?
>
> DomainVal. does not currently support Unicode path segments
> (VALIDATOR-235).
> Is there any point supporting Unicode TLDs if Unicode path segments
> don't validate?

No, I don't think so.

> In the longer term (Java 6) I think we can use just the punycode TLDs,
> because we can translate Unicode TLDs to punycode in order to check
> the domain.
>
> So the question is: do we want to fix V-235 now?
> If not, we don't need the Unicode TLDs I just added.

No, this one is for 1.5 I think (which we can push right after 1.4.1).

> If we do fix V-235, it might be worth using reflection to call the
> converter if the code happens to be running under Java 6+
> i.e. we don't need to keep the Unicode TLDs unless we want to support
> Unicode validation under Java 4 & 5 and we are going to fix V-235 now.

Let's not complicate the implementation if we're planning to bump the Java
version right after 1.4.1. I just want to get this last Java 1.4 compatible
release out of the dort and then update to a more recent Java version.

> I'll replace the Unicode entries shortly.

Thank you!

Benedikt