Hi.

[...]

Everytime I added more debug output to FastMath.exp(), the tests succeeded.

Did you try using Math.exp or StrictMath.exp in place of FastMath.exp?

I also setup a jenkins instance with the same maven / jdk version to
build commons-math, but could never reproduce an error so far.

Without direct access to one of the failing servers, I doubt that we
will be able to find / fix this problem.

I wonder if it could be a runtime optimiser issue?
That might explain why debug affected the outcome.

Might be worth trying the non-debug code with Java 6 or 7.

If the issue is related to Java 5, then it could explain why it was
not seen by developer testing - I don't think many devs use Java 5 (or
the incompatibility would not have crept into the release).

Was it reasonable to stick to Java 5 for so long when that's the case?