On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 12:36:08 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
On 1/14/15 12:09 PM, Gilles wrote:
Hi.

Any objection to my adding a "getQuadraticMean()" method in
"DescriptiveStatistics" (in package "o.a.c.m.stat")?
+1 and can also be added to SummaryStatistics

JIRA issue created.

and as an individual
moment stat.

The implementation could readily inherit from "SumOfSquares", just
overriding the "evaluate" method.

Alternatively (or additionally?), we could create a new "PowerMean"
class such that
 PowerMean quadraticMean = new PowerMean(2);

Whatever the choice for an individual RMS moment, it would be a
performance penalty to use it as an independent field in
"DescriptiveStatistics" because the same computation would be
performed twice (for the RMS and for the "SumOfSquares").
[This is the subject of the other post.]