On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 11:49:14 +0100, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
If the volume of messages discourages new contributors from joining the
project that's indeed an issue. We had an average of 400 messages per
month in 2014, that's on par with maven-dev, half of tomcat-dev and 1/7
of lucene-dev.

I don't think splitting the list by component is a good idea though,
this will kill the community (the 'all' list is unlikely to be popular).

The "all" ML should be mandatory subscription: this is were decisions
(such as release votes) would be taken. [If a discussion is started on
another list, which then requires a larger audience, it could be forwarded
to "all" with a link to the archived thread.]

But maybe we could consider separating the commits from the discussions
(with a forced subscription to the commits for the PMC members)?

One good thing would be the suppression of notifications for bulk
changes (like to the web site); when receiveing 10+ messages at once,
it is unlikely than I will browse them and check all the modifications,
so IMO high traffic lowers the quality of review.