I spoke to one of the authors of re2j, a Google-internal port of the C++
re2 library. The intention was to open source it but they just haven't got
around to it.

I may try and get Google to put re2j up on GitHub so you all can take a
look. AFAIK it is heavily used in Google and it has an API that is largely
compatible with java.util.regex. I know from personal experience that one
can often benefit from re2j merely by replacing java.util.regex imports
with the corresponding re2j imports.

Regards,
James