Am 12.04.2015 um 13:14 schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
> Hi,
>
> there is currently a discussion on github about the addition of a low level
> utility class which helps to retrieve Threads [1]. The latest proposal is to
> implement a predicate based approach for filtering threads [2]. My opinion
> is, that we should not add such an API at all, because we would have to
> revert it anyway, when we upgrade [lang] to Java 8. Further more I don't
> think it is a good idea to add a generic Pedicate interface to [lang]. This
> will only cause confusion for users already using Java 8. So if we really
> want to add predicate based API in ThreadUtils, it should IMHO Look like this:
>
> Collection<Thread> ThreadUtils.findThreads(ThreadPredicate filter)
>
> public interface ThreadPredicate {
>    boolean test(Thread);
> }
>
> Later we can change this to:
>
> Collection<Thread>
> ThreadUtils.findThreads(java.util.function.Predicate<Thread> filter)
>
> public interface ThreadPredicate extends java.util.function.Predicate<Thread>
>
> I'd like to hear what others think about this.

It is indeed hard to design this API in a way that is compatible with
Java 8 and earlier versions.

Providing only a findThreads() method which takes a ThreadPredicate will
not have much benefit on its own. Would we then also have to provide a
set of default predicate implementations offering the functionality that
was addressed in the original proposal?

Oliver