Hello Bruno,

> Thanks for the thorough code review Benedikt! Comments inline.
>
> > 1. IP clearance! There are several comments talking about code adapted
> from
> >PHP libraries. This needs to be listed in NOTICE.txt. For an example see
> >the NOTICE.txt in [lang].
> Filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SANDBOX-497
> And first try to fix it:
>

> https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-text.git;a=commitdiff;h=refs/heads/SANDBOX-497
> Does that look correct? I also checked with the author before porting it
> to the initial Java version, and told him about the [text] component -
> https://github.com/jasonpriem/HumanNameParser.php/issues/11

I've adjusted the changes a bit and merged it into master.

> > 2. The names package needs work.
> Completely agree. We can try to make it thread safe too. This will take a
> little longer.
> File new issue for tracking it
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SANDBOX-498

I've pushed a new branch containing a proposal how to fix this. Please
review.

> > 3. There are a some useless JavaDocs, which can be dropped. For example:
> > (...)> Better rename the variable to middleName and drop the comment.
> What about renaming the variables but leaving the comments?

For I've corrected this for the names package in the SANDBOX-498 branch.

> > 4. Several classes have no tests. The overall test coverage looks good,
> so
> >this may not be a problem.
> Before the initial release I can start a development cycle just to add new
> tests for parts that seem important - like code with somewhat high [+5]
> cyclomatic complexity and uncovered branches. Just to make sure that the
> initial release will have an acceptable quality and less hidden bugs :-)

Nice!

> > 5. I don't think the shade configuration is correct. To me it looks like
> >commons-text depends on [lang] and also shades some classes. Do we really
> >need the explicit dependency? Furthermore, why do we need to shade so many
> >classes? Why do we need anything beside StringUtils?
> My mistake. I copied the [functor] configuration without much thinking.
> IIRC, this dependency was added because of the names package. But it
> shouldn't be too complicate to replace it. It is mainly used for checking
> empty/blank values.
>
> So let's drop the [lang] dependency and use something like `$VAR != null
> && ! "".equals($VAR)` instead?

I think we also need StringUtils in the similarity package. We should
handle this after we have merged the changes made to the names package.

> Thanks again for reviewing the code!

No problem, thanks for pushing this forward.

Here are some more things we need to take care of before 1.0:
- JIRA project
- Rename similarity package to distance package? We have five Distance
implementations but only one Similarity. Furthermore we have FuzzyScore. Is
it a distance or a similarity? It should be renamed accordingly.
- ConsineSimilariy uses Vectors modeled as Map<CharSequence, Integer>. Does
it make sense to introduce a new class called Vector?

Benedikt