Hello Landon,

welcome to Apache Commons,

> I'm interested in helping a bit with Jakarta Commons. Is there anyone
> currently working on the BeanUtils or Collections modules? What about the
> image IO modules?

I've worked on Imaging a while back, but then had not time to finish 1.0.
The problem with imaging is, that the code is optimized towards speed in a
way the makes it hard to encapsulate internal data structures. This is
where a lot of the FindBugs warnings come from [1]. Furthermore we have a
lot of checkstyle violations that need to be fixed [2].
I'm not sure all the problems can be fixed without major changes to the
API. But we should fix this before 1.0.

> I thought I might start by dressing up the documentation or writing some
> unit tests for one of those modules if they are currently without a
> maintainer. I hope I can help.

Note that you can also use our github mirrors at [3] for contributing.

Regards,
Benedikt

[1] http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-imaging/findbugs.html
[2] http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-imaging/checkstyle.html