On 06/23/2015 05:59 PM, sebb wrote:
> The default karma needed for committing to the SVN dist/release/TLP
> areas is membership of the LDAP PMC group. This can be changed to be
> membership of the LDAP committer group if required.
>
> I'm not sure about the current karma needed for Nexus upload, it may
> be either PMC or committer  membership. AFAIK this can be changed if
> necessary.
>
> I think it would be useful to allow non-PMC members to act as release manager.
> This means relaxing some of the existing technical restrictions.
>
> However I think it would too permissive to allow any ASF committer to act as
> RM.
> Releases cannot be reverted in the same way as commits, and need a
> greater degree of experience than code/doc fixes.
>
> So I suggest that Commons agrees that membership of the LDAP Commons
> committer group be regarded as sufficient karma for performing RM
> tasks.
>
> [We no longer use the LDAP Commons committer group for controlling
> access to the code itself.
> I think the LDAP committer group is largely redundant. This would give
> it a new role.]
>
> The PMC does not need to involve the board in changes to the committer group.
> Updates to the LDAP group can be made by a PMC chair.
> Apart from the actual Commons chair there are other chairs on the PMC
> as well as Infra folks, so that should not be an issue once it has
> been decided on the RM.
>
> So it would be a relatively simple process to grant karma to a new RM
> once any necessary technical changes have been made.
>
> Thoughts?

I think that every committer shall be able to do a release for a commons
component after it has been discussed on the mailinglist.

Otoh, I think it would be very beneficial if at least one PMC member
provides mentoring for somebody doing his / her first release here, as
the process can be quite complex and frustrating.

I did survive my first release only because I followed the wonderful
release guide for math, but only few people know about it.

Thomas