On 21 September 2015 at 18:36, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> Alternative to keep 100% BC
>>
>> - Remove the new method, release 2.5, and add it back for SNAPSHOT
>> - Add the new method in a new sub-interface
>
> or catch and ignore this special RTE when calling the new method form our
> code. Old clients never asked for it, new/updated clients can use it.
> Listener interface is a special case here.

This is what the JLS says about binary compatibity of a method
addition to an interface:

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se7/html/jls-13.html#jls-13.5.3-100

If the code were to use reflection it would notice the difference, but
otherwise the change is BC according to the JLS.

I don't think we need to do anything here, beyond pointing out that
recompilated client code may need to be updated.
But that is not a binary compatible issue, it is source compatibilty.