On 11/6/15 11:02 AM, Gilles wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 10:36:51 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
>> On 11/6/15 10:31 AM, Gilles wrote:
>>> Hi.

>>> I like the proposal to be more lax on compatibility breaking than
>>> I ever dreamed of.  ;-)

>>> Isn't that going to cause JAR hell?
>>
>> Yes, within the even-numbered branches.  But we would repackage and
>> rename at each version cut as we do now.
>
> I don't follow.
> Is top-level package renaming in order: e.g.
> "org.apache.commons.math4m0" for 4.0
> "org.apache.commons.math4m1" for 4.1
> ?

Sorry, I was not clear.  I meant that we would do the repackaging
only at major release, so both above would be .math4

> This would be akin to the "experimental" package idea evoked
> in an earlier incarnation of this discussion.
>
>> So the only "hell" would
>> be if someone deploys multiple different versions from an
>> even-numbered branch.  We would expect them to be less widely
>> deployed, so this would be less of an issue.
>
> I don't follow either.
> What issue did you intend to solve with the proposal?

Basically, limit the compat breaks to lines "known" to contain breaks.

> My wish is that all (users and developers) can enjoy a timely
> official release of the "bleeding edge"; whereas it now seems
> to me that you are only talking about branch naming.
> [And even-numbered ones will likely not be released because
> of JAR hell.]

That is what I was trying to support.  RERO with constant API change
means you have to release API breaks often.  That's the crux of our
problem with 4.0 now.  If we want it to have a stable API, we need
to finish stabilizing it before we release anything; otherwise we
need to follow immediately with 5, 6 etc.  What I was suggesting is
that we could just advertise the fact that the 4.x API is not
expected to be stable.  Once it stabilizes, it will become 5.x.
This has the advantage that users wanting a stable API know what to
use and we only have to support 2 lines at any given time.

Phil