On 11/07/2015 11:19 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 07/11/2015 10:13, Thomas Neidhart wrote:
>> On 11/07/2015 04:25 AM, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I tried to raise that concern in the message already, but it is probably
>>> worth repeating it explicitly: this is not a real bug
>>> in the Commons-Collection class, and it might not be worse fixing it, as
>>> there are possibly tons of other vectors. This was also addressed by the
>>> original authors in the talk and even here on Twitter:
>>>
>>> https://twitter.com/gebl/status/662754611304996866
>>>
>>> however, as the "foxglove" article shows, people still point at the
>>> apache project, and after all it is good pratice to reduce footprints
>>> and attack surfaces.
>>
>> it is clear that the InvokerTransformer by itself does not have a bug,
>> but due to the way how java serialization is applied and considering the
>> fact that at least collections-3.2.1 is used *a lot* it would make sense
>> to provide a hardened version of collections to give people a chance to
>> easily avoid this line of attack in their application.
>>
>> Instead of removing the class we could prevent de-serialization of it in
>> the hardened jar. This would not break b/c and it is very unlikely that
>> the InvokerTransformer is serialized in legit ways.
>
> Rather than having hardened vs unhardened JARs, it would probably be
> better to use a system property to enable/disable the behaviour. I don't
> know the code or the vulnerability well enough to know exactly where to
> put this switch so it prevents the attack but has minimal impact on
> other uses.

my idea was to have a binary compatible drop-in replacement that does
not require any configuration, so that people that happen to have
commons-collections 3.2.1 in their classpath can replace it with a
hardened version.

But I am open to other suggestions, in the end it is important to do
what affected users would like to have to mitigate the problem.

Thomas