On 11/10/2015 11:41 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Thomas Neidhart <thomas.neidh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/10/2015 10:52 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:
>>> Hi all:
>>>
>>> -1
>>>
>>> Sorry, the RAT failure needs to be handled one way or another: exclude
>> the
>>> files or add headers:
>>>
>>> Unapproved licenses:
>>>
>>>   data/test/NullComparator.version2.obj1
>>>   data/test/NullComparator.version2.obj2
>>>   xdocs/style/project.css
>>>

>>> I imagine the obj files can be excluded but the CSS file can just have a
>>> header added, just like
>>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/daemon/trunk/src/docs/daemon.css
>>>
>>> It's just messy to rush this through without dotting the i's and so on.
>>
>> yeah, I did not see the 2 NullComparator files as the problem appears
>> only on Windows. The same happened for the Collections 4 release, and I
>> forgot about it.
>>
>> @css: wtf, are you serious to vote with -1 because of that and complain
>> about the RC being messy? I mean, I can handle it if there are real
>> issues to be fixed, and I had planned to cancel the VOTE anyways to make
>> some more adjustments but something like that is just ridiculous. Just
>> take a look at some other published commons releases and count the
>> number of RAT errors, even for source files.
>>

> Sorry, two wrongs to do make a right. If other Commons components have made
> a mess of specific releases in the past, then that's sad. Either the RAT
> report is clean or it is not. If it is clean, I have to assume that
> exclusions in the POM for specific files or types of files have been done
> with careful consideration and that I can always go digging in the commit
> log to see a hopefully useful comment as to why the exclusion was made.
>
> Since this is a release to address a security issue, I would have hoped
> that all details would have been handled with extra care.
>
> I'd never get away with a sloppy release at work, and I hope I won't have
> to here either.
>
> In any case, a -1 is not a veto on a vote thread like it is on a commit, so
> this vote may yet pass. It's up to you as the RM to decide what to do.
>
> I know that cutting releases is still a pain, we have a lot of gymnastics,
> it's not like pushing a button, but that' what we're stuck with for now.

you complain about false positives in a code base that has not been
released in 8 years and call my work messy. I have seen the css alert,
but thought I can safely ignore it, as it is anyway obsolete (pointing
to a non-existing css on the apache homepage).

People blame Apache for not providing a fix in 9 months for a known
exploit and we are arguing about totally unimportant issues.

I explicitly asked for review in areas that *are* important, e.g. OSGI
compatibility, as the build/release chain has changed quite a lot in the
last 8 years, and I wanted verification that the 3.2.2 release can
really be used in all areas. But no, we talk about a missing AL header
in a one line css file.

Frankly, I am pissed because I spent the last days working on this while
my baby is teething and would have certainly better things to do.

I will continue with the release as it is too important, but I am not
sure any more that I want to make another release for commons in the future.

Thomas