> The first hurdle here is that pool is not on Java 8. But this could be done
> with other facilities like Runnable, Callable, maybe even an executor.

Although Callable wouldn't be as elegant as lambdas, it would
definitely be possible. The consumer could define a Callable:

class ResourceCallable implements Callable<String> {
  private MyResource resource;
  public ResourceCallable(MyResource resource) {
    this.resource = resource;
  }

  public String call() {
    return doSomething();
  }

  public String doSomething() {
  }
}

Then it passes that callable's type into run with its return type:

  String result = objectPool.run(ResourceCallable.class, String.class)

Then maybe something like this for the definition of run:

public class <T> ObjectPool {
  public <U> U run(Class<S> callableType, Class<U> returnType) {
    // Leaving out exception handling for brevity
    T obj = borrowObject();
    S callable = callableType.getConstructor().newInstance(obj);
    U result = callable.call();
    returnObject(obj);
    return result;
  }
}

So yea, not quite as pretty as with lambdas. Is it expensive to
upgrade the Java version of a commons lib like pool? Java 8 will be 2
years old in March, but I'm sure there would be plenty of people
unable to consume a version that jumps from 1.6 to 1.8.

Looks like the last time we upgraded was from 1.5->1.6 in Feb 2012
because "1.5 is out of support unless you pay for it" (git sha
d44c8f6).