Oracle claims “extended support” for Java 6 until the end of 2018[1], so there
are still going to be a few environments out there that benefit from Java 6
support. That said, there are some more disruptive changes that could take
advantage of new Java 7 APIs:

For something like COMPRESS-327 it would allow the use of SeekableByteChannel
for in memory access to archive types that benefit from random access.

The java.nio.file.attribute interfaces (BasicFileAttributes along with
sub-types PosixFileAttributes and DosFileAttributes) offer a good abstraction
for normalizing ArchiveEntry subclass (see Stefan’s work[2]). Also, the
FileTime class is a good immutable alternative to Java 8’s Instant.

I would say maintain Java 6 support in 1.x and go with Java 7 in 2.x.

-Jeremy

[1]: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html
[2]:
https://github.com/blackducksoftware/commons-compress/commit/c6eed140b0b4579fd11ade0b66ada704bb116eca