sebb wrote:
On 29 April 2016 at 15:59, Josh Elser<els...@apache.org>  wrote:
>  How does changing the package name help? Doesn't that just push a
>  NoClassDefFound error instead of some missing implementation for a new
>  method?

That means we change ALL the package names and the Maven coords.
Effectively it's a different component, and users have to change the
import package names.

How is that at all improving *any* level of compatibility? I really don't see how that is providing any service to your users. Now, instead of just updating the version for the artifact and adding the new methods, they *also* have to change the package...

>  Where do you all define what is public API (and thus what is stated to be
>  stable)?

That's the big question...

So, let me give some personal opinions here: you cannot claim to have any level of compatibility if you do not prominently define what is subject to compatibility. Just take a look at the introduction on semver[1]: "For this system to work, you first need to declare a public API".

It is my strong opinion that any attempt to "improve compatibility" is pointless if you haven't actually put forth the effort to define what you're keeping compatible.

The feeling I'm getting is that this is not defined. As such, I feel this is going the same way as the "we should upgrade min JDK" and "we should upgrade dependencies" -- it's not ready to go and should be addressed in a future release.

I don't want to come across as dismissive, but I've had this conversation with more than one other project in the past. If there are concerns, let's state them, discuss how they be addressed, and move on so we can avoid unclear worries.

[1] http://semver.org/