As long as VFS implementations can be successfully plugged in as NIO
FileSystemProvider implementations then I don't see any reason not to
add that capability in addition to the VFS APIs. Whether or not the
public VFS APIs are superceded for most users by the NIO2 APIs, with
VFS as a backend, depends on how simple the plugging turns out to be.
In either case, VFS won't lose out, as it will still be a pluggable
backend for the protocols that it supports.

It would be simpler to transparently support protocols directly,
rather than having users choose the file system implementation, in
addition to the protocol, in their URIs with a "vfs" prefix.