DateParser and DatePrinter interfaces are not just for internal use.  I will
gladly add javadoc to the effect that end users are not expected to implement
these interfaces and that methods may be added in any release.

I think you are correct about this being a source incompatibility rather than a
binary incompatibility.  So, if a developer has implemented this interface and
published the class; and another developer uses the new method against this
older published class, then a LinkageError will be thrown.

In my mind, this makes the compatibility issue even less of a concern.

regards,
chas