Hi,

the reference for Apache Commons (in general) and FileUpload (in
particular) is the Apache SVN repository, and not Github. Have a look
at [1], which is the source code of FileItem for 1.3.2. This release
is intended to be completely binary compatible to previous releases.
As a consequence, FileItem is still implementing Serializable in that
version. We removed the Serializable from the Trunk, which is intended
for future releases. Those future releases aren't necessarily binary
compatible.

Jochen

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/fileupload/tags/FILEUPLOAD_1_3_2/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileItem.java?revision=1745636&view=markup