On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 15:53:44 +0300, Artem Barger wrote:
On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
wrote:

That's what I was afraid of; in this case, it would defeat the purpose:
We shouldn't have to release "core-2.0" (thus a with change of the
top-level package name), just because we want to fix something in the
"utils" code.

Given this situation, would it be possible to consider a separate
component: "commons-rng-utils"?

I think following layout should actually work:

commons-rng-parent (pom) v1.0
|____commons-rng-core (jar) v1.0
|____commons-rng-tools (jar) v1.0​

​And suppose you want to update commong-rng-tools from v1.0 to v2.0 it will
look like:​

commons-rng-parent (pom) v1.1
|____commons-rng-core (jar) v1.0
|____commons-rng-tools (jar) v2.0​

​where you do not really have to touch version of core component. Unless
this is somehow
restricted by ASF commons coding standards or something.​

The restriction, as Jörg wrote, is that a single component can only
release artifacts with the same version.

If we have to put the tools in a separate component, it will already
inherit from "commons-parent". Then, is there an interest to define
an additional "commons-rng-parent" level.

Or, do you have something else in your mind?

Best regards,
                      Artem Barger.